Laval Senior Academy…A Community Learning Centre
Supporting the needs of our students, their families and the wider community through partnerships that cultivate perseverance, engagement & citizenship.
What is a Community Learning Centre?
A Community Learning Centre (CLC) is not a place, but an approach to community and school improvement based on the establishment of mutually reinforcing partnerships.
Schools that are Community Learning Centres invest in partnerships that provide a range of services and activities, often beyond the school day to help meet the needs of learners, their families, and the wider community. Their aim is to support the holistic development of citizens and communities.
Some of the key results anticipated from CLC schools are:
• Provide access to the conditions deemed necessary for student success
• Respond to the particular culture and needs of the communities they serve
• Provide services that are accessible to the broader community
• Deliver a range of services that are self-supporting and sustainable over time
• Integrate existing services and resources with those available from external agencies
• Develop financial/resource partnerships that insure long-term sustainability
• Resonate within their communities as a successful response to their needs
• Demonstrate flexible and innovative approaches to service delivery
The Role of the Community Development Agent
LEARN’s Network of Community Schools, known as Community Learning Centres (CLC Schools), have a dual role in Quebec: student perseverance and community vitality. In CLC Schools, a dedicated coordinator works closely with school principals and staff to establish mutually beneficial partnerships with community-based organizations, municipalities, local businesses, families, and community members. These partnerships result in support to community and school improvement through enhanced access to recreational, educational, social, and cultural opportunities for youth, families, and the English-speaking community at large.
In 2014, CLC Schools became part of LEARN, a non-profit organization that serves the public and private Anglophone, and Aboriginal, Youth and Adult Education sectors of Québec. LEARN’s Network of Community Schools (CLCs) bring together the expertise and efforts of educators, students, parents, and partners in our community to cultivate success for all learners.
For more information please contact
Katrina Driver, Community Development Agent
Laval Senior Academy
450.686.6300 ext. 9018